Friday, December 30, 2011

Deeds



Deeds
Often is said that this world is full of good people, but hearing about them isn’t deemed necessary. Bad news makes money, we love to watch train wrecks and it’s more exciting to see someone fall off the mountain than climb it.
As I thought about this, I turned to my “googler” and attempted to find good deeds done this year. Not much out there. There was no problem finding stories about crime, politics, disease and stupid criminals. Not many positive words flowing across our airwaves.
We (our children) are conditioned to think that drama, rehab and not being accountable for any action is the “norm”.  Sadly, so many young lives are shaping into what they have seen for years on reality TV and the tabloids. An average day should not consist of rehab or paternity tests or yelling and slamming doors or drunken binges or ending a relationship via texting.
 After a tiresome year of Charlie Sheen (who didn’t win), Kim Kardashian (10 minute marriage=$10 million) and Lady Gaga (“should I wear my meat dress or just wear my underwear today?”..) I would love to get an ear full of nice people stories. Good manners maybe? Respecting other people? Being nice without expecting praise just for being nice? Helping our fellow man? Act nice and have reporter cameras follow you everywhere for a snap? Doesn’t happen much.
I know good acts still exist and I still witness it in my daily life. There are more good people than bad. Maybe I am just lucky that I have nice acquaintances, neighbors, co-workers, friends..but I have seen perfect strangers pick up something I dropped, hold a door, give a compliment, share a warm greeting. The good is still there. In 2012 I will strive to do one good deed a day (without telling anyone about it) and I will listen to less news...pretty sure TMZ won't be following me around.

No comments:

Post a Comment